Thursday, November 7, 2013

Marathon

The NYC Marathon men's lead pack at 73rd and 1st.
During my high school running days, marathons were naturally on the mind. I had a goal of eventually running in one. When I started having problems with my left foot during my college days, though, I put that aside and figured I'd keep my race distances capped at the 5K to 10K range, so as not to completely destroy my foot in blaze of glory.

This past Sunday was the New York City Marathon. The course went by where I was staying so I stepped out to watch the action. It was the first time I'd ever seen a marathon live, and my first time at a running race since the last one I ran, a 5K on July 4, 2008.

After my 7/4/08 race. So long ago now...
The feeling was energizing. I found myself wanting to get out and run myself. It was fun watching the leaders go by, but for me, the best part was seeing the runners further back in the pack. They were having fun. Some were playing to the crowd, raising their arms in the air, soliciting cheers. Others were high-fiving the fans standing next to the rails. Many were wearing some kind of homage to their country, their past running team, their present running team, or even costumes. The thought of doing that myself one day was certainly appealing. And now that there is no longer any offending foot to destroy, why not?

Playing to the crowd. Looks like fun :)
Chemo-wise, I have just one day of administration left for Cycle 14. Things have gone mainly smoothly, highlighted by a fun moment a week ago when the Pediatric unit had its Halloween celebration. Most of the doctors and nurses, and a lot of the patients, showed up in costumes. Candy was available in abundance. Embracing my being one of the older pediatrics patients, I came to receive my chemo dressed as Papa Smurf:

All decked out for chemo!
Energy-wise, I've done well, needing naps each afternoon, but not feeling the same level of tiredness I was during cycle 13. Unfortunately, though, it has not all been peaches and cream -- a bout of diarrhea yesterday morning turned out to be C diff recurrence #2. In response, I've had to stop all the standard anti-diarrhea measures for irinotecan (Suprax and activated charcoal), and begin a 10 day course of vancomycin. Furthermore, I cannot use any Immodium to control any additional diarrhea that comes my way. Hopefully, I make it through the weekend without needing any.

So far so good, though; I'm a little better than I was the day before. A negative stool test one week from Monday, and I'll be able to begin cycle 15 (my last nasty one, featuring the return of the cyclophosphamide/doxorubicin/vincristine combo I last saw in cycle 3) without any further delays. Here's hoping for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment