Thursday, October 10, 2013

First Post-Amputation 5K

Since high school, running has been my favorite form of physical activity. I was actually in the process of getting myself into shape for running races when my symptoms struck, which was actually a year and a week ago to this day.

I still plan on running a race one day, and while I'm still far from that point, I will be taking an important step in that direction this Saturday, when I'll be walking in the Terry Fox Run New York, a 5K fundraiser for cancer research at Sloan-Kettering. My team's name is the Chemo Warriors.

The run is named after Terry Fox, a young Canadian who in 1977 had his right leg amputated above the knee due to osteosarcoma, another form of bone cancer. In 1980, he embarked on a cross-Canada run to raise money for cancer research, running a marathon a day. His journey lasted over 3000 miles, and was sadly cut short when his cancer recurred and ultimately claimed his life. His legacy, however, remains, with Terry Fox runs now being held worldwide to raise funds for cancer research.

I first read about Terry's story early on in the course of my treatment, when I found myself looking up stories of other bone cancer patients online. His determination and dedication made a big impression on me, and thus when the opportunity to participate in a Terry Fox run first came up, I made it a rehab goal. I look forward to a great walk this Saturday, and eventually, my first post-amputation run.

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you!! Wish I could be there with you. I look forward to the day when we can finally run a 5k together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be there to watch you. Hormozd jan you are our symbol of persevierance and hope. We wish you good luck and lots of energy for the run tomorrow.
    زنده و پاینده باد هرمزد .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time at the walk, Hormozd! Keep on keeping on, Sherry

    ReplyDelete