Saturday, August 31, 2013

Football Season!

This is it, my favorite sports time of the year. I always get pumped for football season. I can't help it. Even though my team, Illinois, more often than not has a struggle of a season. I'm looking to football weekends to help carry me through to the end of chemo. Only 6 more cycles to go now!

One of my favorite places to be: at an Illinois football game in 2010.
This last cycle (#11) has been easier than the one before it. The first week, with both the irinotecan and temozolomide, was draining like before, but something changed in week #2. I had a surprising amount of energy during most of it, including a little shopping trip on Tuesday afternoon and a programming session on Wednesday afternoon. Eventually, of course, the chemo caught up to me, and I needed a major nap after I got disconnected on Friday.

I would say the turning point was a spontaneous trip I took a week ago with my mom to Williamsburg, a neighborhood in Brooklyn that has seen a recent influx of young people. It was definitely an interesting place to walk around. A number of the buildings looked worn down, but there were lots of young hipsters walking around, and street vendors peddling wares. I was reminded a bit of my Bay Area days, making the trip feel like a nice escape from Manhattan. And then I found this painted image of a ? block from Super Mario Brothers!


After the trip, I had a lot more energy. So I guess the moral of the story is to get out and do things even if you don't feel well. Sometimes it's more mental fatigue than physical.

5 comments:

  1. The countdown is on! Let's hope this is your second wind and that these last 6 continue to go by easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horm, I'm so amazed by your perseverance and positive attitude throughout this challenging journey. Every day I think about you and how lucky I feel to have such an incredible person as my cousin. In your own strength and positivity, you help me with my own little obstacles. I just keep thinking to myself, that if my cousin could be such a strong person and such a fighter, there's no reason I can't get through anything happening in my life. You really are my hero Horm and I can't wait for the day I can see you again and share the laughs we always do when we are together. I love you always always and always!!!!

    ONLY 6 MORE TO GO!!!!

    -Melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Melody's comment Hormozd jounam.

    I am so glad you could that trip. I wonder what the question mark is about??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep exploring! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete