Friday, March 29, 2013

Long Week

Pardon the delay... Would have posted something earlier, except that a lot's been going on this week. First off, I started the new chemo cycle with irinotecan and temozolomide. They have been easier on me than the cyclophosphamide/doxorubicin/vincristine combination of the last three cycles, but they've still done a number on me. I still get nausea, though not to the same degree as before. I can eat meals of almost normal size, though I will feel some queasiness afterwards. When I'm done for the day, fatigue soon sets in, and I find myself spending a lot of time in bed. A full night's sleep helps a lot, but then I get more drugs and it's back to fatigue once again. Hopefully, the weekend gives me a breather. No diarrhea so far, so that's good news, though I've been told that if it happens, it's usually during the second week.

The routine has been like this: except for Monday, when I went in the afternoon, I show up at the hospital in the morning, where I get checked quickly by a member of the sarcoma team and then get hooked up to an IV. I don't get a bed because I'm not there for long; I find a seat, and open up my laptop to keep busy. Before I get any chemo, I get a couple of anti-nausea medicines through the IV. Then, the nurse comes by with the irinotecan and temozolomide. The temozolomide is given as pills, which I take first. Then the irinotecan is hooked up to the IV, where it is given over an hour. Once it's over, I'm done, just in time for lunch.

There's been no rest for the weary, though. The last three afternoons, I've had other things to do besides rest. I had physical therapy on Wednesday and today to further strengthen my legs in preparation for full-time walking with a prosthesis. On Thursday, I got a new prosthesis, ahead of schedule. It's actually semi-temporary rather than temporary. The top part (the socket) will go through more iterations. The bottom part has a flexible foot assembly that's supposed to last me a while and even enable me to go running when I build up the strength for it. I look forward to going running again one day, that's for sure, but first, I'll have a lot of walking to do. Here's a picture of me holding the new leg:


Hopefully, the weekend does bring me some rest because I desperately need it. Along with the fatigue, my brain has turned into mush each evening, making me feel like a zombie. Yesterday morning, I specifically remember waking up and thinking, "Wow, my brain is working again! What exactly was I doing yesterday afternoon?" It's not that I didn't know what I was doing; I remember specifically the events of the day, but I was to some degree going through the motions, with a lot of my ability to concentrate completely gone. Thankfully, it's recovered each morning with sleep. So here's hoping some sleep without having to worry about chemo gives me at least one full day with a fully functional brain!

5 comments:

  1. Hormozdam, Thank you for posting this information. I have been checking your blog few times every day.
    I am so sorry you have to go through this but i so much praise you for your strength and spirit. You are such an inspiration and you will soon get all well and start running again.
    Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hormozd,
    Arnie and I have been checking each day and we were so happy you posted something today. There is no doubt in my mind you will be running a lot in the future. So glad another treatment is out of the way. You are l/3 of the way done!! Yeah!! We continue to be inspired by you and it helps us in so many ways. Look forward to hearing from you again soon. Love to you and your beautiful fiancée. Rita and the Judge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of you often, Hormozd! You have a fabulous attitude. Your resilience really shines through. We send lots of love and healing thoughts. We're cheering from Urbana! Love, David, Yael, and Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hormozd,

    I have been going through a rather painful and unexpected divorce, and had been exceedingly depressed thinking about how this will affect my two children. When I saw your comment on Facebook a few weeks ago, it reminded me of you in high school, and how much zest for life you had. Now, after following your blog, It's amazing to see that, throughout all the adversity that you have overcome, you still have that same passion and fervor. Your journey has helped me focus on the positive things in my life, enjoy each day, and be positive about my children's future. Thank you so much for posting your story, and I wish you all the best as you continue to overcome obstacles in your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, I'm very sorry to hear about your divorce. I'm glad you've found my blog helpful as you deal with this. I hope everything works out for you and your kids.

      Delete