Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Can Walk Again!

At 3:16pm Eastern time today, I took my first steps without crutches. It was a completely unexpected moment. I was getting ready for a walk with Ashley, my fiancee. Before we left, I wanted to do some of the swaying exercises which the physical therapist I saw on Friday taught me. I found it much easier to stand on my left leg than I did yesterday. Enough that I felt I should try a step on it. Which I did. And then I found I could walk on it. Without crutches! I was unbelievably happy. I was thinking this moment would come a while later, but it happened today. Today!

With this wind behind my sails, I selected a destination for our walk that tied into the theme of mobility -- the nearest subway station, 4 blocks north and 3 to the west. Using one crutch. We made a stop along the way at a small international grocery where Ashley bought some ice cream for me and some halva for my parents. More walking practice :) Once we reached the subway station, my first thought was to hop on a train and get to some farther away parts of New York, but I wanted to save some energy for the walk back, so I stuck with some stair practice. Sure enough, I needed the energy. I soon felt some tired muscles in my left leg, and though I used two crutches after leaving the station, I still needed a break. Thankfully, we found a bench along the way and sat on it for a few minutes before resuming the walk. After making it back, I ate some of the ice cream to celebrate and then went to bed to get some rest. But not before taking a few more crutchless steps. Even in my tired state, I couldn't help myself. The feeling of being able to do it again... I'm looking forward to many more!

And since this post would not be complete without video, here are a few of my early crutchless steps, courtesy of Ashley :)

6 comments:

  1. I have started reading your whole blog today and to see you now walking like this is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

    Important: Note how he uses the beach scene to celebrate and reclaim what was once lost. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hormie, this is GREAT news!!! I am just catching up with all of your journey with all the highs and the lows. Wow, so much. But this is absolutely fabulous and I am SOOO happy to hear it!!!! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome link, Babe, thanks for sharing! Yes, I especially love the beach celebration. A celebration on none other than Ocean Beach is called for when this is all done!

    ReplyDelete